Make Your Beauty Routine More Eco-Friendly
Consider this scary fact: The beauty industry creates 120 billion units of packaging every year.
As a beauty enthusiast, I've become more aware and conscious of how I can be part of the solution to live a more sustainable lifestyle. I think more and more beauty enthusiast are also thinking this way! But what does it mean to make your beauty routine more eco-friendly?
No, it doesn't mean throw out all your current products and keep only those label with "eco-friendly" (we know the term eco-friendly is vague). No, it doesn't mean, only using products that comes in reusable, recyclable plastics only (we also know the label "recycle" can be vague, we often don't know where it actually ends us after we "recycle" it). No, it doesn't mean you have to use only decomposable products.
Making your routine sustainable can simply mean, making small changes or big changes, it's all up to you. Every little bit helps. It starts by first taking a look at your current beauty routine (what's in your bathroom right now) and making small tweaks to do less harm to the environment.
Here are my tweaks:
- Take the slow approach - only buying what I need and only when I have finished the bottle #empties (or gifting a slightly used product to a friend if it wasn't something I liked).
- Buy multifunctional products (multifunction product in my definition is products that can be used as a face wash and body wash, a moisturizer that can be used on the face and body).
- Opt for refillable beauty product, larger size products, and multi-use products.
- Use less water - opt for waterless beauty products like powder cleanser.
- Recycle and repurpose - turn empty bottles and jars into storage, sprays, and vases.
These are some of the small changes I've made to my routine. Japanese skincare products make it easy to be more eco-friendly with it's large sizes, multifunctional and multi-use products. This is one reason why I've fallen in love with Japanese Beauty.
Let us know how you're making your beauty routine more eco-friendly!