Japanese Camellia oil has been one of the most treasured secrets of the geisha! So, what is camellia? Camellia Japonica Oil (tsubaki Oil) is a powerful oil extracted from flower that can be used on the face, hair, scalp and body and is known for its moisturizing and conditioning power.
A little knowledge check: There are three types of camellia flowers that camellia oil can be extracted from. camellia oleifera, camellia sinesis and camellia japonica. The latter is what people mostly use for beauty.
Camellia japonica oil is an excellent emollient and is considered a dry oil because of its non-oily feel on the skin. The molecular weight of the oil is an almost identical match for skin, allowing it to absorb quickly and thoroughly into the skin. The key components of camellia oil includes vitamin A, B, D and E (Tocopherol), polyphenol antioxidants, linoleic acid, palmitic acid, Oleic Acid, and Omega 3, 6 and 9. These all work together to allow this beauty oil’s benefits to unfold before you, making it excellent for skin and hair.
What does this all mean? Let’s break this down!
- Oleic fatty acid (Omega-9 is a transdermal carrier and very effective in enhancing skin and hair's ability to retain moisture.
- Rich in Vitamin A, B, C, and E which helps protect the skin from UV and environmental exposure and fight against signs of aging while stimulating collagen production
- Its anti-inflammatory properties may help to soothe inflammation
So what skin type is Camellia oil good for? It’s great for all skin types, yup even oily, acne-prone and sensitive skin. Camellia oil has a comedogenic rating of 1, so it’s unlikely to cause acne or make acne prone skin worse.
And how do use camellia oil?
When it comes to the face and body, you can apply camellia oil directly on as a moisturizer or where needed on the body. We recommend gently massaging the oil in as you apply. It can also be used as a makeup remover just like a cleansing oil. With a full face of makeup, apply camellia oil and massage. Warm a cloth in warm water and gently wipe away (you can follow up with your regular cleanser).
Did you know camellia oil is also great for your hair?
Camellia oil is commonly used as a leave-in treatment and is best when applied to damp hair. After washing, you can apply camellia oil to the ends of hair to offer nourishment to promote repair for soft, smooth hair. We recommend using your fingertips or a comb to evenly distribute a small amount throughout your damp hair. You may also apply the oil before washing your hair for a little extra softening action if you tend to have more tangles. Another great way to use Camellia oil for the hair is a scalp treatment. You can massage the oil to the scalp and leave it in for 15 minutes before washing your hair.
So, to sum it all up, what are the benefits of Camellia oil?
- It helps promotes skin elasticity.
- Locks in moisture to keep your skin hydrated.
- Improves complexion.
- Non-Comedogenic (Suitable for oily/acne prone skin)
- Helps minimize the appearance of scars.
- Strengthens hair and helps to replenish moisture.
- Smooths hair cuticles without weighing hair down.
- Makes hair shiny and helps to prevent split ends.
- Treats dry scalp and helps prevent dandruff.
Check out our Camellia Oils and products!